Monday, February 15, 2016

Is Feng Shui an Art of Placement?

A Collection of Feng Shui Items and Figurines
More than ten years ago, I was a fanatic of objects and figurines. Usually, just before the New Year, I would usually grab an Annual Feng Shui Assessment Magazine, and based on the recommendation of the magazine, I would usually spent hundreds of dollars to invest in Feng Shui items to negate the 3 Killings (三煞), Grand Duke of Jupiter or Tai Sui (太岁) and the 5 Yellow Sha (五黄煞). Items can be Crystal Mountains, Wind Chimes, Qi-Lin (a dragon-head horse-body creature), etc.

These are negative energies or Sha-Qi that are expected to reside in the specific locations in the house of the year. At times, more special items are recommended to enhance your Personal Luck, Career, Romance, etc. The reason to buy these items is simple; to have a peaceful coming year for the family, and in hope that these Feng Shui enhancers can help to improve our lives.

Is the above-mentioned sound familiar to you, or does this happening to people around you? I believe there are people like me; a year-end buyer of Feng Shui items.

I am not saying that placement of objects is not useful, and it would be beneficial as long it helps you to feel better and give you a peace of mind to “see” more opportunities and improve your lives. However, every year new items are released in the market and introduced to me. Most of the time, you are advised to place the items in different locations on an auspicious day. This made me ask myself a question as it is becoming more superstitious and mysterious. Is Feng Shui a placement of objects in a specific place at a specific date to negate the “bad luck” of the year, or something else?

Coincidentally, as I was in a local bookstore, I saw DVDs talking about Period 8 Feng Shui and Xuan Kong Feng Shui. That year, I decided to make a change to invest on these DVDs instead of the Feng Shui items. After watching the DVDs, my views about Feng Shui changes drastically. Many questions on Feng Shui are answered. I started to do more research, but Classical Feng Shui books written in English are very limited. I’ve decided to attend courses to fulfil my curiosity and in hope to unlock more answers. It has since aroused my interest and assisted me to open a wider gateway to Classical Feng Shui exploration.
Modern and Nature Landforms
The answer on Classical Feng Shui context:
Classical Feng Shui is about assessing the quality of life energies or Qi through observations and analysis of the living environment to achieve our goals in life. It is not about the Art of Placement of objects, it is neither your lucky numbers nor favourable colours you wear, the curtains that you hang, the sofa that you sit on, the wall that you painted in your home, the list goes on….. , but it is about using the living space in your home supported by the external environment, enriching lives with more opportunities available to you, and fulfilling your endeavours in life.

No Feng Shui Classics or Scripts documented in ancient China as far as back in the Tang, Ming and the later Ching Dynasties of China had mentioned about placement of objects. In a logical mindset, one will not believe that Dynasties were conquered by just painting a wall with your favourable colours..



More Interesting Articles
A Short Story about Wandervale at Choa Chu Kang

My Posting Archive

All Time Favourites